"We, the people, are not free. Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean? It means we choose between Tweedledee and Tweedledum. We elect expensive masters to do our work for us, and then blame them because they work for themselves and for their class."
- First, read the Background to the Anti-Imperialist League - first two paragraphs
- Second, watch the Video (9:42) at the beginning of the Article - Co-Founding the ACLU, Fighting for Labor Rights and Other Helen Keller Accomplishments Students Don't Learn in School
- Third, read/watch (36:40 - 40:27) the Speech "Strike Against War" (PDF) given by Helen Keller in 1916 and answer the Guided Notes questions in your notes
- Who is Helen Keller presenting this speech to?
- What are 3 reasons Helen Keller presents against US involvement in WWI?
- What are your thoughts on Helen Keller's arguments against the War? Do you agree or disagree? Explain your answer.
|Helen Keller - Strike Against War, delivered before the Women's Peace Party in New York, New York (January 5, 1916)|
|File Size:||72 kb|